Wednesday, March 4, 2015

10 Year Anniversary

     On this day 10 years ago I became a follower of Jesus. That moment changed everything, and I will never be able to find words that truly express the depths of my gratitude. I had thought that I would do something special to celebrate this day, but I ended up spending my day just as I would any other Wednesday. However, there is a specific reason for that.
     My testimony used to be a sob story about all of the "terrible" things that had happened to me before the moment when Christ came and saved me. That has some truth to it, but Christ has so much more for us than a single moment from years past. I remember a pastor once saying something to the effect of: "If your testimony isn't constantly changing then something is terribly wrong." I did not like that, I liked my sob story the way it was, thank you very much! The truth was that I didn't like that because my testimony wasn't changing. I wasn't allowing God to move in me and speak to me in new ways because that would mean admitting my flaws and having to humble myself before the Lord.
     Over the last four years I have learned how true that statement really is. God desires to speak to us, to transform us, and to use us to build His kingdom. God's investment is so much bigger than a single moment, and God's invitation is a lifetime of knowing Him. Over the course of my life there have been many ups and downs, but God has always been faithful. God has taken root in my life and transformed me from within. 
     God wants us to invite Him into all of the parts of our life. Not just the moment when we walk into the Church building, or the moment when everything seems to be crumbling around us, but the day-to-day normal stuff too. He was present as I joked with my students this morning, He was present when I went for a run, and He was present when I was being advised by my student's parent to go to Alaska to find a husband (yes, this really did happen today). So today I celebrated 10 years of walking in relationship with my best friend, my savior, by living a normal day. I am reminded that deep relationship is not often built in a few big monumental moments, but in living life together day in and day out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment